The station improvement works to platforms 1 and 2 of Redcar Central station consisted of the following relevant works:
- New kerbing and surfacing to footways between platform 1 and the station car park
- Supply and installation of new street lighting
- Removal of existing landscaped areas, with reinstatement and re-planting on completion
- Demolition of existing boundary wall, followed by the construction of a new retaining wall/brick planter.
- Upgrading of existing access ramp to meet current DDA regulations, including the installation of new handrails and fencing
- Provision of a significant increase to the public area by constructing a new retaining wall to allow for the infilling of redundant track areas at the rear of platform 2
- Installation of new surface water drainage systems.
- Removal and replacement of the platform waiting shelter
- Supply and installation of new seating and cycle stands
- Supply and installation of new street lighting, including all associated ductwork and power feeds
- Timber fencing to surround area of vegetation behind platform
- Full re-surfacing of platform areas with new resin bound coloured gravel.
Project Programme and Delivery
The works at Redcar Station were successfully delivered within the agreed programme period with minimal disruption to the live station operations, local residents, business or users of the station. Noise suppressant plant was used throughout to minimise disruption to the surrounding areas. The MPH Site Manager liaised closely with the local residents and neighbouring businesses to address and manage any concerns raised.